The “When” of Independent Living
We hear a lot of questions regarding the proper timing for independent living (IL). In other words, how do you know when IL is the right choice for you?
It’s a great question. And, if you are reading this, it means that something is making you think about the option. Here are some of the main reasons our discerning residents chose to make a fresh start with a new place to call home:
- Freedom from homeownership and maintenance—no more snow to shovel, grass to mow or repairs to be done. Many find it easier to take long trips knowing their apartment home is taken care of while they are gone.
- An active social life—make new friends and choose from a full calendar of fun and excitement.
- Safety and security—over time, everyday features of your home, like stairs and tubs, can become safety hazards and obstacles. Senior living (SL) communities are designed to meet the physical needs of seniors and make them safer and easier to navigate.
- Onsite amenities—living in the Upper Midwest means snow and winter, which is challenging for everyone. SL communities offer onsite dining options, salons, fitness centers, religious services and more, with no snow travel required.
- Preparing for the future—when additional services are available, people choose IL with the goal to age in place. They know services are waiting for them when they need it.
Overall, it is about deciding what is right for you. Find a community with the amenities, features and location that offers what will keep you healthy and happy for years to come. Start by talking to a knowledgeable and experienced SL consultant.